Working with Charts and Reports
The Untitled Report pane is launched when you Explore a Data Model. Once an exploration is saved, it is launched from the Reports menu. The pane is divided into sections:
The location and status information tells you exactly where you are exploring.
Demo is the currently selected Project. The pull down shows available projects.
Production is the mode.
Latest is the currently selected Version. The pull down shows available versions and commit messages.
retail_demo is the currently selected datasource. The pull down shows available datasources.
Report commands are available in both the top and bottom bars of the pane. The available commands are:
- Undo/Redo actions. Only available for saved reports.
- Save saves your exploration as a Report.
- Share shares your saved Report with specified bipp users.
- View SQL displays the SQL for your current chart exploration. Use the icons to Launch the Sql Viewer using the contents, copy the contents, or close the view.
- Fetch pulls the data in to populate your selected chart.
- Options menu:
- Save a copy saves a copy of your Report with a new name. This option is always available.
- Alerts opens the Alerts pane. Available for saved reports. This is a Premium feature.,
- [Schedule Delivery] opens the Schedule pane. Available for saved reports. This is a Premium feature.
- Download Data select the number of rows, file format, and filename. Available for saved reports. This is a Premium feature.
- Get Data via API create, update or copy the link to the report. Available for saved reports.
- Report Settings additional settings for the current report. Available for saved reports. Settings include: Fetch data from cache, Fetch grand row total, Fetch grand column total, Keep duplicate rows in the fetched data, and Show total rows.
- Report Version Info displays the branch and version of the current report. Available for saved reports.
- Delete deletes the current report. Available for saved reports.
- opens the Select Reports dialog where you can add Reports to a new dashboard or existing dashboard. (bottom bar)
- launches a new Untitled Report. (bottom bar)
- Tabs for your open explorations and saved reports.
Reports that are not saved disappear at the end of your explore session.
The tables available in your data model are displayed with the available columns.
- You can collapse (⏴) or expand (⏵) the Select Data pane.
- Search for a specific column
- Filter for Field Type and/or Data Type to easily locate columns in the list.
- Click the column name to select/deselect it. Selected columns have a highlight in the left margin, and the number of selected columns is shown in the table name. The column is added in the Visualization pane. Selections can also be removed with the delete icon in the Settings pane.
- Hover on a column name and click to use the column as a filter. Enter the filter details in the Setttings Pane.
- Hover on a column name to access the options for the column. The available options depend on the selected data type. When you select an option, the column is added to the Visualization and Settings panes as a measure. Here are the options and where they are available:
- Filter Sets the column as a filter. (all fields and types)
- Order By Sets the column as a sort. (all fields and types)
- Unique values Number of unique values. (all fields and types)
- Count Distinct Count distinct values. (all dimensions except time)
- Count Count column rows. (all dimensions except time)
- Lower Show values as Lower Case (string dimensions)
- Upper Show values as Upper Case (string dimensions)
- Sum Totals the values. (numeric dimensions)
- Avg Averages the values. (numeric dimensions)
- Min Minimum value. (numeric and date dimensions)
- Max Maximum value. (numeric and date dimensions)
- Pivot Pivot the measure data on column. (all dimensions)
- Unpivot Reverses a pivot. (pivoted dimensions)
bipp analyzes the data from your data source and assigns a field type of Dimension or Measure:
Dimensions are qualitative values such as names, dates, catagories, or geographical information. For this example, Id, Date and Stock Code are all dimensions of the table Transaction.
Measures are quantitative values that can be computed, such as items sold, quantity ordered, and total sale. For this example, Number of Rows and Total Amount are all measures of the table Transaction.
Each field is assigned a data type of String, Integer, Datatime, Float, Bool or Time.
bipp uses color coded icons to visually represent the field and data types:
- Dimensions are blue
- Measures are orange
- String has an abc icon
- Integer has a 123 icon
- Float has a 0.5 icon
- Date has a calendar icon
- Bool has a T/F icon
- Time has a clock icon
Most chart types require at least one selected Dimension and Measure.
Clicking Count Distinct on the Description column adds it to the Visualization pane:
Click View SQL see the SQL bipp created for the selection:
- Select Invoice Num column from the Transactions table.
- Select Min for Unit Price column from the Transactions table.
- Select Max for Unit Price column.
- Fetch the data.
Click View SQL see the SQL bipp created for the selection:
Select Invoice Num, Invoice Qnty and Unit Price columns from the Transactions table.
Select Amount from the **Transactions table. This is a Sum column added to the example data model.
Fetch the data.
Select Pivot for Stock Code column from the Transactions table.
Fetch the data.
As you select columns, they are added to the visualization pane, using the default Table chart type. Different types require different selections. Most require at least one dimension and one measure. Prompts help guide you with selection requirements.
- Select Columns.
- Change the number of rows to fetch if needed. The default is 1000.
- Click Fetch whenever you make a change.
- Select a Chart type using the icons.
- Apply Settings and Filters to your data from the Settings Pane
- Apply Formatting settings to your selected chart .
Refer to Chart Settings for details about individual options.
There are two levels of settings available for charts:
- Settings and Filters in the Settings pane
- Format and other chart specific selections in the Visualization pane accessed with the icon. Refer to Chart Settings for details.
Different settings are available depending on your selected chart type. This is the initial Table view, prior to selecting any items.
Controls and icons within the Settings pane:
- Collapse (⏴) or expand (⏵) the Settings pane.
- Collapse (⏷) or expand (⏵) the categories in the pane.
- Toggle visibility of the selection. Where there can be only a single active selection, changing the visibility replaces the current selection with the new one.
- Add the selection as an Order by ascending or descending field.
- Clear all Order by selections.
- Remove the selection from the pane.
- Access the options for the selection. These include:
- Show on Tooltip (X and Y-axis options) displays the field name on the tool tip.
- Show on second Y axis (Y-axis option) adds a second Y-axis to the chart. If you only have one measure, it shifts the label to the right. If you have two measures, one label is on the left, the selected second one on the right.
- Show values on (Y-axis option) refine your chart’s usability. Chart displays the values for each measure on the chart. Tooltip displays the values on the tooltip.
- Drop Down lists are available for parameter selection, changing the sort order, and selecting filter options.
- Select list options for string filtering: Multiple Values List or Single Value List.
- Select list options for number filtering: Multiple Values List, Single Value List, or Custom Value.
As you select columns and options from the Select Data pane, they are added to the Settings pane.
- Dimension and Measure lists selected dimensions/measures for Table, Metric, Gauge, TreeMap and Map, GMap and Graph charts. The counter indicates the number of selections.
- X-Axis and Y-Axis lists the selected dimensions/measures for Bar, Line, Scatter, BoxPlot, HeatMap, Bubble, and SparkLine charts.
- Label and Value lists the selected dimensions/measures for Pie and Funnel charts.
- Column and Row lists the selected dimensions/measures for GridChart charts. SparkLine charts also use Row.
- Actual, Target and Range are used for Bullet charts.
- Pivot lists columns selected as Pivots from the options in the Select Data pane. You can delete a pivot from the Settings pane or select Unpivot for the column in the Select Data pane.
- Order By lists columns selected as Order By from the options in the Select Data pane. You can change the sort order or delete the Order By from the Settings pane.
- Parameter lists parameters defined for the Data Model.
IN THIS PAGE