Before we can start defining data models or creating dashboards using bipp, we must provide a datasource for the model to connect to. This essentially means connecting to a database. bipp allows connections to the following databases.
- SQL Server 2017+
- MySQL 5.7+
- Impala 5.x+
- Teradata 15.x+
- Hive 2.x.x+
- Postgres 9.x+
- Snowflake 3.27+
- Oracle 12c+
- mongoDB 3.2+
- MS Excel
The available datasources can be managed through the “Datasources” menu option available in the product menu. Clicking on this would take the user to the datasource management screen which has options for adding, editing, managing and deleting datasources.
The screen shows the name of the datasources available to you, with the last updated date, type of database (dialect) and a menu for action options available. Width of columns may be adjusted by clicking on the icon at the bottom right of the column heading.
In order to add a new Datasource, users should click the “New Datasource” button available at the top-right of the screen. A pop-up screen to specify the name and type for the datasource followed by the database credentials will be shown.
A new datasource will be created once all the required information is entered and on the click of the “Create” button.
To check if the newly created database connection is working, users can ping the datasource by using the “Ping” option from the options menu at the right of the datasource name. Depending on the status of the connection one of the following messages would be shown.
Run a Query
You can explore the database that you have connected to and run queries against it, using the “Run a Query” option from the options menu at the right of the datasource name. On selecting this option, the screen to explore database tables and execute queries will be shown as follows.
Following features are available on this screen.
- Change the datasource against which you wish to execute queries.
- View structure for all tables in the database with columns
- Refresh the left pane to load any changes to the table structure
- Execute queries and view results dataset in the results pane.
- View execution time and total number of results in the result set.
- Automatically generate the “select * " query for any table by clicking on the arrow next to the table name.
- Sort the result set by any column by clicking on the column name.
- Save the editor contents to a project as a file.
- Collapse the left pane to increase the width of the editor/results panes.
- Choose the orientation of the editor and results panes so that they will either appear vertically side by side or horizontally one below the other. Default orientation is horizontal.
You can search for an existing datasource in the list by keying in the name of the datasource in the “Search” box at the top of the screen.
An existing datasource or connection settings may be changed by clicking on the “Edit” option from the datasource options menu. This will show the datasource connection settings pop-up with existing settings pre-populated.
Users can share the datasources they have added with other users in their team, organization or network. This can be achieved using the “Permissions” option in the datasource options menu.
Users are required to key in the email-id’s of co-workers with whom they wish to share the datasource. (The co-worker should already be part of the users bipp network.) Alternatively a group name may also be entered for sharing with all members of a specific group.
Permissions may be categorized into 3 types.
- Admin - Full control over shared Datasource including delete permission
- Read and Write - Ping and Edit permissions over shared datasource
- Read Only - Only connect permissions on the shared datasource.
Related projects and sheets will also get shared on sharing a datasource.
Permissions for multiple datasources can be updated simultaneously by selecting them and then clicking on the “Update Permissions” button available at the top of the Datasource list.
Users can delete an existing connection or datasource using the “Delete” option on the datasource options menu. The datasource will be deleted after confirmation.
To delete multiple datasources at the same time, select them and click on the “Delete” button displayed above the checkboxes.
IN THIS PAGE